My Pets

My Pets
TIME TO RELAX !

Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 1 - "Autism is a World" featuring Susie Ruben

After working with several students identified with autism, the video, "Autism is a World" featuring Susie Rubin was really an eye opener to be able to see the world from Susie's perspective. Students that I have worked with have not been able to or have not had access to a communication device in order to communicate their thoughts, feelings, or opinions. Even though these students have not been able to effectively communicate, I've always wondered what their potential could be, if they could. As Susie points out, "I was a non person when I wasn't able to communicate". This comment from Susie really made me think and reflect on the students that I have worked with and how did they really feel. I also found it interesting when Susie referred to having to sometimes go into her autism space; i.e., the spoons or playing in the water. I think this is important for us, as educators, to realize as some of us often try to get students to stop these behaviors. However, this is their comfort zone and obviously is needed at times. I guess it is very similar to us using fidgets to self-regulate. As educators, we really have to believe in the potential of these students and do everything possible to help them reach their fullest potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment